Monday 30 April 2012

Defender Of The Faith

For as long as I can remember I always had to defend heavy metal from the vicious slandering it received from the majority of the student body in my school. When people bash on something it generally stems from hate, jealousy, or fear of the unknown. I can't count how many times I was accused of being a satanist or a devil worshipper just because I listened to a certain type of music.

I always found it amusing that non-metal listeners would always stereotype the genre with ignorant statements like "you listen to that kill your mother kill your father crap"  For the record, I have been listening to metal for 34+ years and I have yet to hear ONE song with the lyrics "kill your mother kill your father".

Another thing I heard a lot was "you can't even understand what they're saying" Well.... That's what the lyrics are for jackasses, try reading sometime! In reality most the lyrics in metal songs are usually pretty deep and they range from all sorts of subject matters, not just Satan and death.

Another aspect of metal that was constantly attacked was the musicianship itself. I've endured countless arguments with people throughout my life because they chose to say "metal sucks! It's just noise! There is no talent", meanwhile these people are listening to mindless, talentless music themselves. Go listen to your "mini pops" records some more bitch!

Heavy metal can be noisy and I can't disagree with that one, but to claim there is no talent is just ludicrous! I don't think these people truly understand how much talent it actually requires to play intricate notes on a guitar with lightning speed. Or how much talent it takes to play drums very fast while maintaining proper rhythm and timing. Or how difficult and strenuous it is for a singer to belt out hymns night after night in perfect pitch without loosing their voice.

The way I see it, there is no other genre that requires as much skill and effort in the execution of song, nor will there ever be!

No comments:

Post a Comment