Saturday 14 May 2022

Dallas Good

On February 17th, 2022 many of peoples worlds were rocked by the sudden death of Canadian musician Dallas Good, a member of The Sadies, one of Canada’s most prolific bands of the last 20 years. With minimal digging you can find and learn what a great friend, brother, band mate, husband, and person Dallas was, if you weren’t already aware of that. 3 months later I’m still shocked and saddened by this, and still don’t really know what to say. 

I had been wanting to get out and see The Sadies perform live for my first time a few years prior to this, which was difficult with the whole Covid mess. Now as things were finally starting to calm down I couldn’t help but notice The Sadies were starting to play live shows again. I had planned on going to see them whenever they played in Toronto next, so I could surprise Dallas and hopefully catch up with him. Sadly I never got to do that and see my old friend. 

 Although I haven’t had contact with him since the mid to late 90s, I’ve always felt connected with him and he certainly left an impression on me as a young man to say the least. When the Internet age came upon us he was one of the first people I tried to track down, although it was somewhat unsuccessful, as he didn’t seem to have any social media accounts…which in all honesty really didn’t surprise me knowing the type of guy he was. 

 My search however did lead me to discovering The Sadies and I was thrilled to see Dallas was still out there and making music. I followed them (Sadies) on social media and definitely professed my brotherly love I have for him on a few posts, in hopes that the message just might be relayed to him. I’m not sure it ever was but I like to think and hope it was, and hopefully put a smile on his face.

 Seeing as I’m at a loss for words I thought it would make more sense to re-visit some older blog posts of mine that Dallas was included in, and celebrate his life through my great memories and stories of him. Some of these posts just have small blurbs mentioned in passing, while others center around Dallas, but I will provide links to all of them regardless. 

 My deepest heartfelt condolences go out to his wife, his family, his band mates, his friends, his fans, and all the people he touched in this world through his kindness, his friendships, and his musical genius. You will be missed by so many people who loved you, and although it saddens me that I never got to catch up with you as I had planned, it fills me with great happiness that you will forever be in my memories and in my heart as one of the greatest people I’ve ever met in my life and had the honour of calling a friend. 🖤 -K 


 [It was at Songbird that we first met the best repairman Jeff, and his band mates Dallas, Bernie, and Ruston. They had a new up and coming band called "The Satanatras"] 

[While down in the city one day, Derek and I went to watch The Satanatras jam one evening. It was pretty mind blowing to witness such great musicianship up close and personal like that.]

 [SIDE NOTE: After hours of skimming through old posts I realized there never was a “Looking for Mr.Good pt.2” that completed this story, so I will be writing and posting that in the weeks to come in memory of Dallas.] 

 [Our Satanatra friends ended up getting us backstage at the show, so we got to meet, party, and hang out with Unsane.] 

 [Of all the friends I had downtown, the one I cherished the most was Dallas from The Satanatras. I was still going out of my way to hang out at his place for a couple of days whenever I had the chance.]

 [I was contacted by my good friend Dallas of The Satanatras. They wanted to know if we'd be interested in opening for them and "The Hacksaw Jim Duggans" at a booze can on Halloween.]

No comments:

Post a Comment