Friday 3 May 2013

R.I.P. Jeff Hanneman

Greetings fellow readers, today I am taking a break from our story to recognize the tragic loss we all suffered this week as fans of thrash metal. Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman sadly passed away yesterday from liver failure. This is truly a huge blow to Slayer as a band, to us as fans, and to the history of thrash metal in general. I'm really having a hard time even finding words to express how staggering of a shot this is.

If you've even followed this blog half heartedly then you are already aware of how big a fan I am of Slayer. They are truly one of the most important bands in the genre. Back in the early 90's when it seemed like the birth of grunge was the death of thrash, Slayer were truly the only old school thrash band who were still flying the flag high with pride. To me they were the bridge that stretched from the late 80's to the mid 90's, enabling thrash music to have a road to continue down in the years to come. Jeff's innovative guitar style and sound were in a class of their own, and he was also a brilliant song writer for the group. Some of my all time favourite Slayer songs were ones written by Jeff.

I'd personally like to give my condolences to Jeff's friends, family members, and band mates. We've truly lost another legend here. I'm extremely happy that I had the privilege of witnessing Slayer perform live 3-4 times in my life and they always put on a memorable performance. Thank you Jeff for all the great music and memories you have supplied to myself, along with countless others, over the last 30 years. I will be commemorating the memory of this thrash icon by blaring Slayer non stop all weekend, wether my son likes it or not. I strongly urge you to do the same.

Rest In Peace Jeff, I know you'll have some killer jams in the heavens with Cliff, Dime, Baloff, and the rest of our fallen heroes. Thrash on brother...

No comments:

Post a Comment